Greetings Science Dog Followers!
I am pleased to announce that the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC) is sponsoring an on-demand Science Dog webinar.
“Understanding Evidence-based Dog Training – Why One Dog (or Anecdote) does not a Study Make” is available to all interested dog owners, trainers and dog professionals.
Description: As dog owners and trainers, we are responsible for making numerous decisions for our animals on a daily basis. Some of these decisions are simple and easy to make, while others are of much greater importance to our dogs’ emotional and physical well-being. In today’s world, the amount of information that we are exposed to and influenced by is vast and often overwhelming.
In this webinar, students will:
- Learn to identify and critically evaluate the many sources of information that influence our training and behavior practices and examine the role that science should play in our dog training decisions
- Review the scientific method and understand its application to research studies of canine cognition, behavior, and training
- Explore a detailed (and fun!) case study with dogs to better understand research study designs, the selection of study groups, use of controls, data measurement and collection, inclusion of statistical tests, compilation of results, and drawing appropriate conclusions.
Following completion of this webinar, participants will:
- Understand the way in which the scientific method is applied to studies of dog behavior and training
- Be able to identify and assess the essential components of a well-designed research study
- Have the skills to critically evaluate different types of information sources for reliability
- Discuss the role that evidence-based training and behavior knowledge play into their own training practices.
Class fees and CEUs: This on-demand (self-study) webinar begins on the student’s sign-on date and remains available for 6 months.
- IAABC member fee: $30.00
- Non-member fee: $45.00
- 1.75 CEUs for IAABC & KPA; CCPDT CEUs pending.
Questions? Comment below or email me directly! Hope to see you there!